29.10.12

enticing eats: pumpkin pie, perfected {gluten free}

It's the most perfect, delicious, gluten-free, to-die-for pumpkin pie recipe ever. EVER! When I found out I had an intolerance to gluten I was originally concerned about all of the delicious seasonal treats I'd be missing out on. Visions of turkey stuffing, pie, christmas shortbread and all of the other gluten-filled things I could no longer eat swirled around my head. THANKFULLY, my delightful chef/baker extraordinaire of a mother found this solution:

All of a sudden, my worries were put to rest and I enjoyed the traditional treats over thanksgiving that I always love and devour. Here is how we did it:

what you'll need:
+ one bag of WOW brand gluten free ginger molasses cookies
+ brown sugar
+ butter
+ pie plate
+ eggs
+ heavy cream
+ pumpkin puree
+ cinammon
+ powdered ginger
+ nutmeg
+ ground cloves

how it's done:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Process ginger molasses cookies, 3 tbsp brown sugar and 4 tbsp melted butter in a food processor.
  3. Put the final product in a pie plate and press in to form a crust.
  4. Combine 2 eggs, 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 and 1/3 cups of brown sugar, 14 ounces of pumpkin puree pure pumpkin in a mixing bowl. When all is well mixed, add 1 tsp cinammon, 1/2 tsp powdered ginger, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. 
  5. Pour into the pie plate that has already been lined with the gf crust.
  6. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
We served this at our family thanksgiving as per tradition and people even preferred the gf crust to the traditional pie crust! It's super moist and tasty. Serve on it's own or with whipped cream!


Hope you all enjoy devouring this amazing gluten-free pie!